What country fits this discription? (14)

1 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-08 05:56 ID:nCSyhV22

I'm looking for a country that has the following attributs: Both has and protects personal and civil freedoms and liberties, has no internet monitoring, regulation, spying, censorship, and laws, (excluding cp of course) it must be a democracy, and its government must be moral and anti coruption. What country is most like this?

2 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-08 09:00 ID:o6lVP6QK

In the end, I think you'll find the usual suspects provide the biggest bang for your buck (USA and maybe the Netherlands).

Any trade up in freedom quickly seems to trade off for corruption all the way up to the Wild East of Moldova where everything is legal as long as you pay the right people (but don't dare criticize those from whom you're buying your "freedom"). Any increase in stability/non-corruption trades off for civil liberties (Britain: unchanged since 1660 and SMILE FOR THE CAMERA). So yeah, your options are limited.

3 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-08 17:54 ID:7geLW7TH

>>2 I already live in the US. We are a republic not a democracy, or governent is corrupt, and the is tons of internet laws, monitoring, spying, and some censorship with more on the way once new laws pass. Plus human/civil rights are not a prioroty here. American is the opposite of this discription.

4 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-08 18:35 ID:5DxA/YE8

>>3 I think your best shots are Finland and Iceland. Iceland is trying to welcome privacy conscious people to install their servers in the island, and have kept a freedom of expression friendly legislation to that end.

Finland is often at the top position of the least corrupt countries in the world, is a very egalitarian society (compared to other countries). I don't know enough about the digital rights issue in that country, though.

5 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-08 19:52 ID:Gk6O3RZf

I too wish to live in a true democracy where 51% of the people can vote to take the other 49%'s stuff.

6 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-09 17:29 ID:AGJJ3bXI


Do dunk your head in the toilet, tea-partier

7 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-10 02:30 ID:Gk6O3RZf

Please don't assign political views to me when I'm merely trying to point out the absurdity of the complaint "We are a republic not a democracy."

8 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-10 12:18 ID:LzYFNtCu

Yes, I too would like to live in a true democracy where every single issue must be addressed by a costly general election. Also I'd like to somehow not pay for this system.

9 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-10 22:34 ID:s44N4WWf

>>5 >>8 >>7 Guys, guys, if you don't like a thread, just don't post in it.

You're right about Finland the egalitarianism there, which is pretty neat. A whole culture based around it seems like a wonderful concept. But I'll hold my judgement on it until I one day experience it myself. However, according to translated news articles and Wikipedia Finland instituted a web filter on CP -which I'm okay with- but ended up using it to block the blog of anti-censorship activist in addition to CP. (And a hearing-aids site, too, somehow.)

I glad you mentioned Iceland, everything about Iceland seems to fit what I need perfectly! Plus they just threw a corrupt banker that helped cause the planet-wide recession in jail. However, I was told it's poor and has a lack of jobs, which I would sort of probably need if I am to become a citizen. Thank you!

10 Name: Anonymous : 2011-12-11 02:33 ID:7+Y8bP+b

Because of this thread I skimmed the Wikipedia article on Iceland. The culture is at least pretty cool. Those turf covered houses remind me of something out of an RPG, and by golly I'd like to live in one. It seems like the whole nation respects privacy and personal freedom, not to mention it's beautiful.

11 Name: Anonymous : 2012-05-15 19:56 ID:8E51SMUG


Also says the area is volcanically active and that their banking system collapsed and is still reeling. They also eat sheep head

still, not a terrible idea

12 Post deleted.

13 Name: Anonymous : 2012-06-19 20:41 ID:9gnIIOs+

At the very least, the Finnish government is consistently staying pretty damn low on Google's <a href="http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/">transparency report</a> in both the <a href="http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/government/">removal requests</a> and <a href="http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/userdatarequests/">User Data Requests</a> categories.
I have a friend living there who claims it's a great country, and even though he lost his job a while ago he stays motivated and is currently taking courses to qualify for a different career.

14 Name: Anonymous : 2012-06-19 20:42 ID:9gnIIOs+

Sigh, forgot to enable html for that post. Anyway, the URLs should be easy to extract.

This thread has been closed. You cannot post in this thread any longer.